He is a great, smart personal injury attorney that cares so much about his clients! Kate C.
Look no further than Mr. Roberts! He made one of the hardest experiences a rather smooth one for me. Vicki C.
He first made sure I was treated for my injuries, then took care of my case. Raymond B.
My experience with Steve Roberts was positive from the first moment I consulted with him. Mysti C.

Denver Car Accident Lawyer

If you’re injured in a car accident, you’ll need help getting the compensation you deserve for your injuries. To get your fair compensation, reach out to a lawyer in Denver for the help you need.

Car Accident

For most of us, driving is just a natural part of our lives. We drive to work, to see friends, or even to get to new places via the Denver International Airport or other travel hubs. Unfortunately, all that time behind the wheel means that there’s a better chance of being involved in a car crash.

The lawyers at Roberts Accident Law know just how serious this can be. Auto accidents aren’t easy to recover from, which means you’ll need help. Fortunately, a Denver car accident lawyer can guide you through the elements of your claim and help you recover.

Common Car Accident Injuries

When you’re in an auto wreck, chances are good that you’ve suffered severe injuries. It’s already bad enough that someone was careless with your safety. Now, you’re dealing with severe pain and suffering. While cars have become safer over the years, serious injuries do happen.

While your seat belt, airbag, or other safety features may have saved your life, you’ll still need to seek out medical care. That’s true even if you feel fine. Unfortunately, many people suffer severe injuries that they don’t feel. These can turn deadly if you don’t get help, so make sure you visit the hospital now.

Serious injuries can be difficult to overcome, so you’ll need to move fast to determine your injuries and act on them. Make sure you seek compensation for all your injuries, including any of the following:

Common Reasons Auto Accidents Occur

For many of us that have been driving for decades, many of the rules of the road become second nature. We know when, where, and how to handle our vehicles to avoid accidents and injuries. However, many drivers choose not to follow these rules and put everyone’s life at risk daily. Whether they have become too comfortable with the rules of the road, are over-confident as drivers, believe that traffic laws are just “suggestions”, or have an actual disregard for others’ safety. These behaviors lead to many injuries and fatal accidents daily. Where many of these accidents can be caused purely by error, they can all lead to serious injury for you and your passengers. The following is a list from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) of the most driving behaviors that lead to the most frequent accidents.

Speeding Accidents: According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), the leading cause of auto fatalities in 2018, was “driving too fast for conditions or in excess of posted limit or racing.” These types of auto accidents accounted for 16.7% of auto accidents.

Drunk Driving
We all know that driving while under the influence is dangerous; however, many still do it. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in 2018 in the state of Colorado, 188 alcohol-impaired driving fatalities accounting for 30% of the 632 deaths throughout the entire year.

Failure to Keep in Proper Lane
7% of national driving accidents occur when drivers fail to yield or violate the right-of-way laws. These laws that govern who goes first are based in courtesy and common sense and work to protect both motorists and pedestrians from injury and property damage.

Distracted Driving
Distracted Driving accounts for around 5.2% of all driving accidents. It can include anything that takes your attention from the road. This could include eating, drinking, talking on the phone or to a passenger, adjusting the radio or cd/mp3 player, texting while driving, and so on.

Careless Manner/Reckless Driving
Reckless driving is classified as a criminal offense where individuals willfully disregard the rules of the rule and put others’ safety in jeopardy. On the other hand, careless driving is a civil traffic violation where individuals fail to drive carefully and prudently. Whether intentional or not, these types of accidents account for 9.2% of traffic accidents.

Failure to Obey Traffic Signs, Signals, or Officer
3.9% of traffic fatalities are caused by individuals not following the traffic fixtures installed to keep you, other drivers, and pedestrians safe.

Overcorrecting is a dangerous and common mistake many drivers make. It accounts for 3.1% of all driving accidents and accords when drivers grab their steering wheel and abruptly turn it in the opposite direction from where the car is going. This generally occurs when people are trying to avoid hitting an object, another motorist, an animal, or over adjusting during certain weather conditions.

Vision Obscured (rain, snow, glare, lights, building, trees, etc.)
3% of accidents are caused by the driver’s vision being obstructed by an object, weather conditions, the sun, or when other drivers fail to turn off their high beams.

Drowsy, Asleep, Fatigued, Ill, or Blacked Out
Drowsy driving is more common than you might think. The National Sleep Foundation reports that more than a quarter of drivers has admitted to having driven while they were too sleepy to keep their eyes open within the past month. They also estimate that 16.5% of deadly traffic accidents are caused by falling asleep at the wheel.

Swerving or avoiding due to wind, slippery surface, etc
Weather conditions can play a huge role in auto accidents. Whether it’s the wind moving your vehicle in one direction or any or icy/slippery road conditions, 2.3% of accidents occur when drivers try to avoid them.

Reporting Requirements for Denver Residents

Not every crash seems that serious, and you may not be sure whether it’s appropriate to get a Denver attorney involved, or whether you should just exchange insurance information and move on.

In Colorado, however, almost all car accidents must be reported. If any property damage has been done, or if anyone was injured or killed in the accident, you’ll need to call 911 and report the accident to the police as soon as possible. From there, the drivers or the police officer, depending on how serious the accident was, will need to file a crash report.

Fortunately, your lawyer can help you with this process. These reports may be filed online with the Department of Revenue, so if you’re concerned about the details of your car crash, contact an attorney to help you file your report.

Dealing with the Insurance Company

Once you’ve reported the vehicle crash in Denver, you’ll also need to notify your insurance company. Many Colorado drivers may choose to file a claim with their insurance company, which will usually review their claim and settle with them. The insurance company will offer a settlement, then pursue the at-fault party for the funds they’re responsible for, in a process called subrogation.

However, this process isn’t always the best option for injury victims. It’s unfortunate, but the insurance company isn’t always willing to work with you, and they don’t always have your best interests in mind. They’re a for-profit company, which means they may offer you a lower settlement just to protect their profits. That means they’re putting investors before you.

Unfortunately, that means that many people who trust their insurers to settle fairly are left with a settlement that doesn’t cover their needs. That’s why you’ll need to talk to your attorney in Denver, who can help you determine whether you’re getting a fair settlement.

Who’s Responsible for Your Collision Claim?

If you’re not getting the settlement you need, you may need to seek compensation from the at-fault party. Sadly, not every claim is simple. While you hope for the option to sue the other driver and move on, you may need a lawyer’s help to dig deeper.

For example, you may have been in a multi-car accident. You weren’t the only one injured, and many people are seeking compensation for their injuries. In these cases, your Denver car crash attorney may review the evidence or seek out expert witnesses to reconstruct the accident and find which driver was responsible for the wreck. Or if you were involved in an accident where the responsible party was a truck driver or a delivery driver the laws can be different when trying to seek compensation.

In other cases, you may have been the only driver on the road, but you don’t believe you were at fault for your accident. Indeed, other factors could have caused your accident, like a defective part or a fault in the road. Your lawyer can review the scene and help you determine what happened.

Compensation for Your Car Crash Losses

When you’re hurt because of someone else’s carelessness, you should be compensated for those losses. You shouldn’t have to pay for the damage they did to you physically, financially, and emotionally. These losses, called damages, can be tough to calculate, so speak to your accident attorney about the tools you’ll need.

For example, the funds you’ll need to recover from an auto accident can be difficult and complicated to pin down. For example, you might know what it will cost to repair your car, but you may also be unable to work as much as you did before. You’ll need help finding the value of that lost earning capacity.

You’ll also need compensation for your non-economic damages, which includes the mental and emotional suffering you’ve experienced. These losses are intangible, so they can be especially hard to calculate. That’s why you’ll need the right tools to calculate these losses, which will depend on how much of an impact your injuries made on your life.

Contact your lawyer for help-seeking out any of the following damages:

  • Hospital expenses
  • Lost wages
  • Property damage
  • Mental trauma
  • Pain and suffering

Colorado Law Can Hurt Your Injury Claim

Unfortunately, you’ll need to prepare more than the details of what your claim is worth. You’ll also need to understand the laws in Colorado that could affect your Denver injury claim. If you’re not prepared, you could lose the compensation you need to fully recover.

For example, you’ll first need to remember that you have a limited time to file. Colorado residents will have only three years to file their car accident claims. If you fail to file in time, your claim can be dismissed. That would leave you without the compensation you need to recover.

You’ll also need to make sure you don’t accept any blame for the accident. Colorado observes modified comparative negligence, which means that you could be found partly at fault for the wreck. If that happens, you could lose a portion of your compensation equal to your percentage of fault.

For example, if you’re found 20 percent at fault for the crash, you’ll lose 20 percent of your compensation. That means you’ll have to recover with only 80 percent of your full compensation. Worse, if you’re found at fault for more than half the accident, you’ll be completely unable to recover compensation.

Seek Out a Denver Lawyer after an Auto Wreck

If you’re injured in a serious car crash in Denver, you need help on your side to overcome the suffering you’ve experienced. It’s tough to balance a major injury and your lawsuit. Fortunately, you may have help on your side.

At Roberts Accident Law, we want to see our clients recover from the suffering they’ve been put through. That’s why we offer free consultations. We want you to know how we can help and what we can do for you before we begin.

When you’re ready to get started, your Denver car accident lawyer is waiting. Reach out by calling 720-515-7058 or by filling out the online form below.



  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
* All fields required


Steve Roberts, LLC


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Or Call720-515-7058